I am debuting a new section of my blog, interviews with designers from around the world. I am so happy that I connected with Christian via LinkedIn. We are both a part of an interior design group and I think his product is great, so I sent a quick note and a friendship with a fellow designer in Denmark started! Christian is the owner and designer of GrapeDesigns and the proud designer of the Impact iPad floor stand, a kiosk that is for commercial use.
Christian describes this stand as “the soft curves attract customers in the store, guests at the hotel or visitors at trade shows and conferences. Impact is made of Corian ® and is thus not only an optical pleasure, but also gives a pleasant feeling of quality and coolness.”
Through the power of email, I posed these questions to Christian:
1. Five words that best describe you?
Creative, systematic, openminded, optimistic, happy.
2. How did you get your career start?
My first job was as windsurf instructor at Club La Santa.
3. What is the best lesson you have learned during the time spent pursuing your career?
To have a fantastic career is not the meaning of life.
4. Best decision you have made?
To establish GrapeDesign. Having your own company gives you flexibility in your private life.
5. Best advice you have been given?
Be persistent and patient (don’t know if some one actually gave me this advice… but it helps to keep things on track).
6. What inspires you?
I am inspired by looking around in all kind of environments – shops, offices, while diving, skiing and running. There are so many details around us that needs to be put into new order and functions. I also find inspiration in new materials.
7. Who is your design/style icon?
Stephanie Forsythe and Todd MacAllen of Molo Design
8. If you were on a deserted island, what three items and/or people would you take with you? (food, water and electricity are provided)…
A boat … I am a good sailor. Pretty sure that I would find my way back to Denmark.
9. Favorite food?
Spicy or Sushi
10. What is your next career goal?
To export my own designs to the world!